Sunday, August 2, 2009

Lemon Wafers with Lemon Glaze

I love the concept of a light and very tasty cookie and was lucky enough to find a great recipe for (mini) vanilla wafers on http://bakingbites.com/2008/07/mini-vanilla-wafer-cookies/, which has turned out to be one of my favorite basic cookie recipes. If you add an extra 1/4 cup of flour to the batter, it keeps the shape and form of the cookie you pipe out, so you can use any shaped you like. I decided to change the vanilla cookies into lemon cookies instead, and all I did was add 1 1/2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice instead of the vanilla extract and used all white sugar. I zested the lemon earlier, and sprinkled the lemon zest on top of the cookies right before they went into the oven.
'Unwisely' I piped the batter into a bit more unique of a design than little rounds, and even though they looked nice going into the oven...

..the cookies didn't keep their shape and came out flat because of the low amount of flour put into them


To spice up their flat appearence, I mixed the extra lemon juice (about 1 tablespoon) with sifted powdered sugar (about 1/4-1/3 cup, depending on how thick you want your glaze) until they were fully combined togeher as a glaze. I just drizzled that glaze onto the cookies in rows of stripes, but be careful not to drizzle on too much, so that you don't overpower the cookies with it.


Once the glaze hardened, I had myself a batch of delicious petite lemon wafers with a lemony glaze :D

^^These cookies wern't photograghed with the most attractive looking "lemon zest stripes," but I tried

No comments:

Post a Comment